Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Becoming a Vamp


As a vampire writer, I did a significant amount of research before deciding exactly how my vampires are made. The transformation process is very different in vampire lore, ranging from a quick nibble to a full drain. My vamps need three blood exchanges to become fully transformed, and since my stories center on male vampires turning females, the blood exchanges include sexual encounters (and hey, it's more fun that way). Basically, I took my cues from Bram Stoker. Also, I didn't want the transformation to be quick. My vampires don't take this process lightly, nor do the humans who are being transformed. It's a conscious decision in my vampire world.

The third novella in my fang series, Real Men Have Fangs, has a lengthy transformation scene between Luc and Meredith. Luc's an ancient vampire whose 600-year-old modus operandi has been to have sex with a woman one time ONLY, leaving her still human, but with a new brand of libido. In his long existence, he never turned anyone, but when he meets Meredith, he begins to consider having a lifemate and all the ramifications therein. His dilemma--after a life of one-night stands, can he be true to her for eternity?

What do you think about vampire transformation? Is it painful? Is there venom involved? If you were in love with a vampire, would you want to be turned?

I'm giving away copies of the first two novellas in my fang series, Love Fang and Fang Shui, to two people who post on my blog. So please, leave me a question or a comment (and your e-mail address for me to forward the .pdfs), and you could be a WINNER!

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susan!!

    Great- we are talking my favorite subject.....Vampires!!!!

    I would like to think that the transformation from human to vampire would not be painless but pain with a sensual awareness; so not totally unpleasant.
    I kinda like the idea of there being a venom as apposed to draining the subject of blood and giving back a little bit of the vampire's blood. That way both can enjoy the transformation making it more intimate.
    And if I was (or not) in love with a vampire, yes I would want to be turned. I am sure it would be great being human and vampire but there are always limitations in the relationship. Better to be on even ground so when the going gets a little rough you just take a bite and keep on going. ;o)

    Thanks Susan and good luck to all.

    Dani
    dlbaath at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little pain never hurt anyone!! I would think turning would have to be a little bit painful. I have read vampire books for 30 years and love them. In my fantasy world, yes I would want to be turned by a very handsome vamp, but in the real world :) I think we know better!! I love your Fang Shui cover!!

    magnolias_1@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting Susan! I really just started reading books about vampires last year (all the Sookies, the Hallows, and Cassandra Palmer books!) They are so varied and fun! I think there would be some paid involved... not sure I would want to be turned though! If its the soulless variety then for sure no!! But Luc doesn't sound soulless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Susan.

    I've noticed you have several book trailers on your site. Do you think book trailers help in book sales?

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,
    Luc sounds delicious, but I think I'd better just enjoy him vicariously through Meredith. Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't want the transformation to painless did he? Or Quick! Hmmm, I think I'd be scared out of my mind of becoming bitten and trans(slyvania)-fused. *grin*

    ReplyDelete